Year end survey.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
put my foot in 5 different seas
won a live poker tournament
watched the Beach Boys while swimming in the ocean
drank my first of many Bloody Mary’s
got a Thai massage
enhanced my grey sides
had sex in a castle
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes indeed, I kept my resolution, & i shall make the same resolution again in 2009 that i’ve been making for the better part of a decade, & that is quite simply “To Have More Resolve”
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Aimee Dominguez-Marsteller gave birth to baby Sophie — a little So-Cal Taquito!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, but Bo Diddley was a big loss in my heart.
5. What countries did you visit?
Lithuania, Italy, Spain, Basque, France, Holland, Poland, Denmark, Huntington Beach
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Tons of cold, hard cash.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 10 or 11, the beginning of the ‘first day’ after i returned home from the Fuzztones tour & my perspective on life changed forever
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
besides falling in love, moving apartments, surviving, general self-realization practices, & dream manifestation, i dunno… musickly, i guess killing it at Mera Luna was pretty awesome.
9. What was your biggest failure?
besides falling in love, moving apartments, surviving, general self-realization practices, & dream manifestation, i guess there’s no such thing as failure — just do & do better
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
i lost a little face, so to speak, at Gesundbrunnen station after returning home from Warsaw.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
a brand new Vox amp, bought with winnings from a big poker game.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
the American voting public for finally getting it right
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
my own, see answer nr. 10
14. Where did most of your money go?
to the relentless pursuit of pleasure, & giving it back to the people
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
love & political change
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Summer Wine – FM Einheit version
Wouldn’t it Be Nice – Beach Boys, Three Arch Bay version
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder?
ii. Thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
poorer, but richer for the wear
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
saving money, sleeping
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
21. How will you be spending New Years?
dealing cards in the Grüner Salon at the Volksbühne dressed as a rascal
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
AND HOW*&!… never thought it could happen to such a bitter, devout dandy such as I,
&though i be damned for it, & in the infinite defense of the romantic,
my heart had no choice, no say whatsoever in the matter
some say love makes you crazy, but i say if you’re already crazy
then crazy love finds you
23. How many one-night stands?
One-night stand is a bit sterile a Sprichtwort, but in terms of the occasional enjoyable & entertaining evening, to the best of my humble & sensitive recollection, I’d say I could count them on one hand if persuaded properly, or in a court of law.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
True Blood, Snooker.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t admire most people enough to hate them.
26. What was the best book you read?
Doyle Brunson’s “Super System” was a good get.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
the compelling passing tone created by the sharp 5th in the augmented chord between the I & ii, & how it’s Tin Pan Alley slickness adds a pizza like aroma to a waltzing campfire melody
28. What did you want and get?
my mind blown too
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
didn’t see too many films this year, but best movie-going experience was definitely a toss-up between Tustin & Oceanside both in SoCal.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
celebrated Halloween, Speakeasyberlin style…
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more
satisfying? Having my baby near me.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
typical Fez… saloon pianist/river-boat gambler/carnaby psychedelic dandy/urban cowboy/cracked actor misfit, y’know
34. What kept you sane?
the awareness of my sanity
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hands down, by a landslide… Barack Obama!
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
the one holding my heart
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
she came out of nowhere with her black eye & blue hair
yeah, she came to the table to play
she called & I raised, how my eyes must have glazed
when my nuts in her hand, there they lay
* teh where?:Chez Wrecker
* Level of Moodiness: loved
* lissnin’ ta:”Jesus Gonna Be Here” – Tom Waits